The innovation capital of the world – San Francisco, is pioneering the most groundbreaking innovative initiatives for the digital-first global rugby event of the year. Rugby World Cup Sevens 2018 fan-engagement strategy is prepared to create an exciting fan experience on and off the field of play. In the light of recently concluded men’s and women’s HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series, the event was found to be the most viewed with over 100 million video views, which proves Rugby seven as a major event that could draw the attention of a huge crowd.
Fans who are watching the tournament at home: San Francisco 2018 is pioneering one of kind digital innovations. The new virtual reality feature called ‘access-all-areas’ VR experience is designed to create the most engaging fan experience for rugby fans who are watching the tournament at home.
Fans who are watching the tournament at stadium: The new knock out format will require every team to win every match to achieve the title – Rugby world cup seven champions.
San Francisco 2018 fan-engagement strategies will feature:
- Official rugby world cup seven apps: The app delivers real-time updates, live streaming and commentary from the tournament.
- Cannonballs: The augmented reality feature will create an interactive environment with fans at the stadium as they are encouraged to catch rugby balls launched into the crowd from the cannons (computer-generated perceptual AR cannons) visible on the big screen.
- Capgemini Match Predictor: The AI-powered Capgemini Bot will compete with the user(fans) playing online games about predicting scores and winners of the tournament.
- World Rugby Bot: The bot is available online and on Facebook for live updates from the tournament
- Media Stats Hub: It provides live match-tracker, the AI-powered Bot will predict scores and winners of all matches and the ‘Expert View’ of attacking and defensive potency based on analytical data insights.
- Web and mobile sites and live match centre: Rugby World Cup Sevens official site provides key information about the event including match schedule, beginners guide to rugby, media info, ticketing, teams, player info etc
- Exclusive Virtual Reality: Behind the scenes Virtual Reality experience for more exciting fan engagement
- Twitter emoji: #RWC7s has been launched for rugby fans to join in on the online conversations
- Rugby7Stars: It is a fantasy game launched by Rugby World Cup Sevens.