In recent years, we’ve seen a significant rise in the number of patients heading overseas to change or improve their physical features and make changes to their appearance. According to Patients Beyond Borders, it’s estimated that medical and cosmetic surgery tourism rose between 15-25 per cent in 2018-19 and one of the main reasons for this is the amount of money you can save by going abroad for your procedure.
Some of the most popular destinations that have grown in popularity have tended to be countries such as Malaysia, India, Spain and Germany. However, as the industry grows in interest, other countries have become increasingly attractive for plastic surgery procedures including Thailand, Malaysia and Brazil.
To ensure that you get the best possible treatment for your procedure, it’s important that you choose countries that are reliable for the experience of the medical professionals, safety and expertise.
Which Countries Rank Highly For Cosmetic Surgery Tourism?
If you need reassurance for heading overseas for your cosmetic surgery, you don’t need to look any further than Malaysia. In 2017, Malaysia won the IMTJ Medical Travel Award for the Destination of the Year and International Cosmetic Surgery of the Year Award. Over the years, Malaysia has revamped its medical resources and processes but also the prices that they offer are extremely enticing for overseas travellers. Overall, their infrastructure is considered one of the best for cosmetic surgery tourism compared to countries such as India and Thailand.
If it’s the South American region that you’re looking to find a possible procedure, Brazil is just the place. Considered the “World Capital of Plastic Surgery”, Brazil comes second only to the USA in terms of the number of procedures they conduct on an annual basis. With such a tag, you can be reassured that it’s renowned for its state-of-the-art facilities and importance for patient safety as a top priority.
Thailand is a growing country when it comes to plastic surgery. Interestingly, you’ll find many of the surgeons practising in the country originally practiced in Western countries such as the United Kingdom and America, making communication relatively easy between patients and medical professionals. With high-quality treatment at an affordable rate, it’s no wonder more and more patients are attracted to the country for their surgery needs.
Medical Tourism Benefits
If you take the appropriate steps to ensure your safety and consider the ability of the medical professionals, there can be substantial benefits to medical tourism for your needs:
- First and foremost, the main benefit of medical tourism is the ability to get quality, professional treatment for less of the price than in your home country. It’s considered that patients can save anywhere between 20-40 per cent of their money when compared to similar treatments locally.
- Travelling overseas for your treatment can give you the pleasure of recovering in your own time and in private. Many patients enjoy the option to recover without the shared experience with other family members or friends. It can also be that extra bit comforting doing it at a destination you love.
- Global standards of medical healthcare have increased all over the world, including access to extra healthcare technologies that have improved the quality of the service.
- It’s becoming extremely common for the majority of medical professionals overseas to gain their qualifications in Western countries such as the US. You can be more reassured that you’re getting the same quality of care at the cheaper price.
- Due to the importance of patient safety globally, there is a conscious effort for practices to prove their excellence from international boards with specific accreditations.
Points To Consider About Medical Tourism
Along with benefits, it is also important to consider the risks that are involved with surgery tourism. So, before you get on the plane to Thailand to get your facelift, here are some important factors to be aware of:
- You could be prone to blood clots if you’re travelling between countries to receive your treatment. Your recovery period is extremely important and you need to give yourself plenty of time to recover from the procedure. Try to move around as often as possible to keep your blood flowing.
- A language barrier can cause potential issues with your treatment. A consultation before your surgery is a chance for you and your surgeon to discuss any concerns or questions that you have about your procedure. If the surgeon finds it difficult to understand English or you’re unable to speak the native language, you run the risk of complications happening which can be difficult to rectify if there are issues with communication.
- Medication quality can differ around the world, and there could be a fear that the quality of medication used before, during and after the procedure may not be as good as what you receive at home. To avoid problems, ensure you find a legitimate pharmacy for any of your medical needs and prevent yourself reverting to corner stores or open markets.
Is Travelling For Cosmetic Surgery Recommended?
Medical institutions abroad are becoming more sophisticated than ever before due to the advancements with technology and increase in qualifications for plastic surgery. The most important point to remember when opting for plastic surgery is making sure that you’re doing it for you. Ensure you do your research around surgeons that you’re looking to for conducting your surgery and exploring factors that are outside just the price. And don’t forget to enjoy your chosen destination.