The Marchena Island is situated to the south-east of South America. Being a part of the Galapagos Islands, it retains the exquisite environmental and scenic beauty. It is very famous for its rich culture of marine wildlife and birds.
It is also considered as one of the sweetest spots of attraction for scuba divers, snorkelers and anyone who would like to laze on its sandy shores under the blue sky. The horizon where the crystal blue ocean meets the vast sky is a mesmerising sight from the beach.
So, stop thinking much and step towards your expedition to Marchena Island. All the information provided here about the tour will undoubtedly help you throughout the whole journey.
Have a look into the Geography and climate
Marchena Island is a part of the Galapagos archipelago. It is situated just 45miles from its neighbour- Tower Island. The position of Marchena Island is precisely north from the Isla Santiago which is a part of the ‘Islas Galapagos’.
The Grand Island covers an area of 130 square kilometres. It is placed at a maximum altitude of 345 meters. The oceans and bays surrounding the island are suitable for divers. The terrain of the island is dark, dry and rough due to old volcanic deposits.
The island retains its flora and fauna intact even by the presence of lots of animals and birds. The average temperature there is about 20° C which is very pleasant.
The best time to visit the Marchena and other islands in Ecuador depends on the season and what you wish to do. December to May is the rainy season, but it is also considered one of the best times to visit as it gets fresher and greener. The dry season is from June to November. If you wish to avoid crowds then avoid going between June to September and late December to early January.
How to reach the Marchena?
Reaching Marchena Island is no big deal. The starting point of the journey is Quito, which is the capital city of Ecuador. Any National or International flight is available from anywhere to Ecuador. From there you have to take a flight to San Cristobal. From the ports of San Cristobal, there are several Golodrina Yachts and vessels which can be hired at a cost of $500. The boats will reach Marchena within 5 hours. There will be groups of 10 to 15 people accommodated in each vessel. The flight’s price is about $300.
The best places to stay
There are several hotels and inns available. You can choose rooms and types of hotels according to your convenience. Most of them are well equipped with luxuries and facilities like pools, delicious food and even facilitates like island safaris, scuba diving and short tours. The average room rent will be in the range of $80 to $150 per day.
Attractions in Marchena Island
Here are some must things to do and try at the Marchena:
- The Lava Lizard Safari– The island is the home to the endemic Marchena Lava Lizard which is you can’t resist observing.
- Jungle and Marine safari– Several vehicles take you to the adventurous world of the wildlife and marine life of the species. You can enjoy the exquisite sea lions, Galapagos Hawks and thousands of other migratory birds up in the sky over the blue water from the deck.
- The Volcano– You must have a tour to the old volcanic feature over the island known as the caldera.
- Snorkelling and diving– This is an activity which nobody should miss out there. Enjoy the mysterious world under the sea with expert divers.
- Rejuvenate your taste buds by the excellent seafood available on the beaches and relax in the spa salons after a long tiring day.
We hope to have covered everything you need to know for your exploration of Marchena Island. Enjoy the rare beauty and silence of the islands in Ecuador. Happy travelling.
Read more: Other islands of the Galapagos