All the Galapagos Islands are unique in their own ways. They treat their visitors with the beauty they possess and transform the experience of exploring the islands greatly. One of the islands located in this archipelago of islands that must be visited once in a lifetime is Isla de la Plata Island. Its name “Silver Island”, is said to been derived from two possible origins – rumours of buried treasure, or the cliffs stained with guano (bird excrement).
Isla de la Plata Island is widely known to be the destination of myriad peculiar birds such as boobies, including the Nazca, red footed, and blue-footed boobies, mesmerizing frigate birds, tropic birds, albatrosses, and pelicans. The island has established trails that take you through the entire island without making you lose your track. Once you land on the island, you will have the restroom on the island ready at your disposal to get relaxed and freshen up your mind and body. After that, your trip will start by making you follow a particular trail which will lead you to all the places on the island.
Things to do
- Isla de la Plata Island is part of the Machalilla National Park known for wildlife and uninhabited wildlands
- The foremost thing on the list of visitors of this island is feasting their eyes on the blue-footed boobies. You should be lucky if you manage to bump into some.
- Snorkelling is the second – or for swimmers and divers – the first thing that comes to the mind. Be very careful while snorkelling in the waters of the island, plenty of sharks exist here, and one must be careful not to disturb any creature
- Enjoy the marine creatures around the island that add another feather to the picturesque beauty of the island. Visitors get to witness sharks, hammerheads, and the Galapagos sharks.
How much does it cost?
Any trip to Isla De la Plata Island from the territory of Puerto Lopez will make you shell out around $30 to $45 which also further depends upon the influx of the visitors. In low seasons, various island tourism companies come together and offer united services to utilize their resources aptly.
Since February of 2012, people visiting the island do not need any special permit to explore this island. They can visit the island from the nearby locations by opting for boat and ferry services. However, visitors will be charged for undertaking the fun activities and using the additional amenities available on the island.
What You Should Carry Along
- Hiking boots or sturdy walking shoes
- Snorkelling Gear
- Medications for headaches and sea sickness
- Camera to capture memories
- Snacks or ready to eat food
- Water bottles
- Swimwear and towels
To know and explore the island better, you can always resort to the services of on-ground tourism companies. Islands in Ecuador have much more to offer to the mankind, but what they demand is their conservation and preservation in return. Hence, it is the responsibility of all the visitors going to the island that they help to keep the island clean and not indulge in any harmful or environment degrading practices.
Read more: Other Islands of Galapagos